Ways to Naturally Whiten Your Toddlers Teeth
Kids quickly and easily develop yellow and stained teeth at a very early age. It is typical in households that snacking and sugary foods are encouraged. As your child grows, you should train them to value and prioritize their oral health. Part of doing that is ensuring they achieve and maintain white teeth.
What Causes Dental Discoloration for Children?
Children and adults alike can suffer from dental discoloration. Various factors contribute to teeth stains for kids, including the following:
- Poor oral hygiene – children are not the best at caring for their oral hygiene. Eventually, plaque and tartar form on teeth due to neglected oral hygiene. If you do not have ample time to help your child master proper oral hygiene techniques, they will end up with stained teeth.
- High intake of sugary foods – sugary foods are the number one reason why children end up needing urgent care from emergency dentists in CO.
- Medication – consuming medicine for long periods has left many kids with heavily stained teeth. Medicine, like supplemental vitamins rich in iron, can lead to dental discoloration.
- Fluoride overexposure – did you know your child can have too much fluoride intake? Although fluoride is a natural mineral that builds strong teeth, too much of it is bad for teeth and general health.
- Dental cavities – children are most prone to tooth cavities at ages 6 – 14. When tooth cavities begin forming, they change the appearance of teeth.
Understanding Teeth Whitening for Kids
When considering any treatment in cosmetic dentistry for kids, you must prioritize safety. Children are gentle and, therefore, must be handled gently. For instance, the teeth whitening strips you typically use for smile makeovers for adults may not be the most suitable ones for kids.
Consider visiting a pediatric dentist in Rifle before you take action to brighten your child’s teeth. Ultimately, the best teeth whitening approach happens in a dental clinic. Your dentist can even point you to the right products to help maintain white teeth at home.
The Best Approaches for Naturally Whitening Teeth for Toddlers
At Rifle Dental Care, we encourage parents to practice natural teeth whitening approaches at home after in-office professional whitening sessions. This way, we can offer appropriate guidelines and products to take up when brightening teeth at home. Some of the ways to whiten your child’s teeth naturally are:
- Whitening toothpaste – some brands are made specifically for attaining and maintaining white teeth. However, find a brand with mild concentrations of whitening products, particularly for your toddler’s age. The last thing you want is your child to suffer immense gum irritation, hypersensitivity, and other side effects.
- Eating raw foods – encourage your child to eat raw foods that can help scrape off plaque and food residue from teeth. Examples of such foods are celery, apples, carrots, and pears.
- Keep a clean mouth – ultimately, the leading cause of teeth yellowing is poor oral hygiene. Encourage your child to keep a clean mouth by brushing their teeth at least twice daily. Train your child on how to floss so they can also remove food debris between teeth.
- Limit sugary and acidic foods – while it may not look like a valid way to whiten your child’s teeth, it is a preventive measure. Acidic and sugary beverages and foods erode tooth enamels, exposing dentin’s underlying layer. Since dentin is duller than enamel, your child’s teeth will start to yellow. Some foods to avoid are sodas, popsicles, candies, gum, and sugary pastries.
- Clean teeth with a paste of lemon and baking soda – mix a small amount of baking soda with lemon juice to create a paste for brushing your teeth. The two ingredients are ideal for deodorizing and removing stains. However, you must be careful when using this approach on your toddler. You risk gum irritation, which may introduce new oral complications.
Taking care of your child’s oral health plays a big role in raising your child well. However, do not be too obsessed with white teeth that you drag your toddler through unsafe approaches to achieve the desired smile. The best approach will always be to consult a dentist near you for teeth whitening protocols.